Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

15 Feb 2012

Blue Badge Holders.

I come across many Blue Badge users during the day and most seem unaware or choose to ignore the rules.  Today though a blue badge user went to new heights.
As I went to turn right in to a road a Bath a vehicle was stopped a few feet from the junction. This is not unusual as people sometimes stop to check a map. Anyway a gave a toot on the horn and expected the driver to see the three buses behind him and move off. However, he did nothing and continued to read his newspaper. I gave another toot and the driver moved down the road into a narrow section, once again blocking the road. I gave another rather longer toot and the driver waved his blue badge at me. At this point I got out and went up to the gent and advised he was blocking the road. He told me that as a professional driver I should be able to get past. That would have meant mounting the pavement which of course is against the law


You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency.
[Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & RTA 1988 sect 34]

The gent did then move, by mounting the pavement !


So how many rules did this gent break. Well just about them all.

parking opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space;

where it would make the road narrow, such as by a traffic island or roadworks;

where it would hold up traffic, such as in narrow stretches of road or blocking vehicle entrances;


on a pavement, unless signs permit it.

If you do have a blue badge and use it correctly I apologise but please ensure you read the rules and responsibilities that come with it. You can find them here.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/dg_4001061

1 comment:

Stephen said...

It is the same all over the country, these Blue Badge holders just love to park anywhere, regardless of other road users. They then want compensation when their mirrors suffer a little knock.

Current local weather

Uk Power production