Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

3 Jul 2012

Indicators

Even I can remember cars without indicators and the ones that popped out. I never had to use hand signals during my test, but they were mentioned. So why nearly forty years latter when car safety has come on so much is the use of indicators becoming a thing of the past? I say this because there appears to be a belief that you only indicate if you think it may help another road user. The IAM and other road safety groups have not helped this by saying thta to indicate when there is no other traffic about is a sign of lack of attention.This is fine IF people USE their mirrors and LOOK up from their in car equipment. Recently I have approached mini roundabouts and been confronted with vehicles at all exits, none of which were indicating. So, were they going straight on or turning right? I have vehicles stop and it is only the fact that there is a side turning I worked out they were turning.
 The highway code states.

103

Signals warn and inform other road users, including pedestrians (see 'Signals to other road users'), of your intended actions. You should always
  • give clear signals in plenty of time, having checked it is not misleading to signal at that time
  • use them to advise other road users before changing course or direction, stopping or moving off
  • cancel them after use
  • make sure your signals will not confuse others. If, for instance, you want to stop after a side road, do not signal until you are passing the road. If you signal earlier it may give the impression that you intend to turn into the road. Your brake lights will warn traffic behind you that you are slowing down
  • use an arm signal to emphasise or reinforce your signal if necessary. Remember that signalling does not give you priority    
 So please whenever you make a manoeuvre remember
M - Mirror
S - Signal
M - Manoeuvre




1 comment:

Jack said...

Very true. Not helped by certain bus operators fielding vehicles where the indicators don't latch on. Or where they don't unlatch. I nearly hit a car at a roundabout once - I was going straight over and had right-of-way, they were leaving the first exit, but I was still indicating left without realising it from the junction before. No beeper, no self-reset, and indicator annunciator light was at the very bottom of the dashboard miles from my line of sight. They pulled out in front of me, I stopped, and cursed the bus a bit.

Current local weather

Uk Power production