Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

12 Jul 2021

Pi-Star Hotspot

 Been rather fascinated by the cheapness of the Raspberry Pi and the amount of stuff it can do. One is a radio 'Hotspot'. this is where you can access different digital modes without being in range of a repeater. While this may not seem to be radio, as far as I'm concerned it is and you able to communicate with other Radio Amateurs who are on a RF link.

The actual Hotspot comes as a 'kit' which you can put in a case. One thing I did was put the edge connector on the Rasp[berry Pi which meant it wouldn't fit in the box!! Not a problem as it only sitting on the shack shelf.

Setting up was relative straightforward apart from there being so much information it became confusing. The trick is to work out what you want to do and stick with it!!!

I have set mine to work on the FreeDMR  system. I have also set it so I can access some Fusion links from DMR as well.

Below is my configuration. You will need to slide the DMR and DMR2YSF buttons over (they didn't show)This works very well. You will need to put your call and DMR number in.









No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production