Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First in Bath. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Harvey the dog and Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. I am a biker and currently ride a Honda CBf600.As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at Welton Baptist These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

26 Apr 2016

Interference Cured

Over the last few years the man made noise across  the radio spectrum has increased due to solar panels, LCD TV's etc. I have had a high level of noise here for some time and although not a major issue has not put me 'off air'. However, tonight in the shack I was moving some radios about when the noise floor suddenly dropped to about S1 on 80m and I could hear stations on there. Looking around I realised the power lead to the THD-7 had been disconnected. Bit of testing confirmed this and a rummage in the junk box found a ferrite ring. Adding a few turns of the power cable to this has solved the problem and the lower bands have now become usable.

28 Mar 2016

Brake fluid change

Good weather on Friday, so decided to change the brake fluid on the CBF. Turned out easier than I thought. Used the bleed nipple to pump out the old fluid until the reservoir was empty than filled up with new. Then bled the brakes to ensure new brake fluid was through the system. Now have nice brakes. Was going to change the fork seals, which I thought I had fixed but are still leaking. These will have to wait for another long weekend. I also decided to leave the coolant until I did the forks as it will mean only having to remove the fairing once.

5 Mar 2016

Leaking forks.

Been using the bike a lot over the last few weeks, and performing well with fuel consumption around 60 mpg. It also has been starting, something my GS had issues with. Anyway waiting at lights yesterday looked down the forks and saw the dreaded sight of fluid. On my return home a more detailed look showed it had been leaking for some time but fortunately , even though it had run down towards the brake caliper it had not mad it on to the disc. I did panic a little and assumed it was going to be a visit to a dealer for replacement seals. However, after a look around it seemed the problem was common and could be solved simply by cleaning the seals to remove any dirt that would prevent a solid seal being maintained. This made sense given the amount of salt that has been put on the roads recently. I came across a thing called Seal Mate. This deemed to work and there are many videos showing how it works. I didn't want to wait so made one up from an old milk container. It was then a simple case of removing the dust seals, I then found it seemed a previous owner had had problems and just put a piece of cloth under the seal. I did worry a little but pressed on and cleaned round the seal. After pumping the forks a few time to resit the seals the tubes are now dry. Hopefully they will stay that way for a while.

Live Weather data