Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

17 Oct 2009

Drive Green

We have just had a system called 'Drive Green' installed in all Bath vehicles. The aim of this is to help cut down on the fuel consumption and improve driving by displacing a red, amber or green light when various maneuvers are made. However, at present it does not work. If you drive very carefully round a route it shows red all the time, then, if you drive like a taxi driver, it shows green. it has been so bad that it has now lost creditability with most, if not all drivers so I think the only course of action is to find a very large skip. It is rumored that each unit cost £800. I think the money could have been spent much more wisely. for example hiring more inspectors and finding the poor drivers and retraining them rather than 'tarring every one with the same brush' but what do I know??  some where there is a depot with a system working correctly.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

Looking at all the costs involved, what an absolute waste of money with no net benefit at all. We all know that the majority of fuel is used in top gear on the motorway with the speed limiter restricting fuel flow. Therefore there is no difference between green and thirsty drivers because the pump electronics make the emissions low and mpg high.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to disagree with the theory that there is no difference between green and thirsty drivers. Yes of course it is true, at the motorway at a steady 100 kph (incidentally where the greatest mpg is achieved) there will be no difference. However in urban driving where fuel consumption is highest, differences in driving technique will show in the fuel consumption figures. When i've reset the fuel consumption computer in our admittedly elderly Volvo B12Ms, I get 0.5 mpg better than the average. Might not sound like much but over time I am sure I am saving the company money.

Current local weather

Uk Power production