Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

13 Dec 2009

Bit shaken up

All early shifts this and last week so beginning to get tired. I have yet to come across anyone working shifts who does not suffer on early shifts. I have found a half hour sleep on the back seats makes a hugh difference and going to bed early! Yesterday I came across something that left me a bit shaken, just after the Turnpike on the A4 I noticed a car stopped and something on the road. My first thought was that it was a motorcyclist who may have cut the corner and not made it. As I got closer it became clear it was a  pedestrian, it was before 0500. It appeared she had been stuck by a taxi and looking at the car it would appear it was going at around the limit for the road, 60mph. Fortunately the emergency service were already being summoned and there were several other people on scene. These things do not often affect me but this one left me thinking how easy it is for your life to completly change is a split second. I hope this was just an accident and the pedestrian recovers and the driver involved is OK

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. At work early shifts are popular but all are made tired by them. Back shifts are the least popular but by far the least tiring too. Over years of shifts you must need discipline to avoid slipping into more or less permanently abnormal sleep patterns.

Current local weather

Uk Power production