Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

12 Jan 2011

APRS on a smart phone

Been experimenting with the new Android phone and having a far bit of success with APRS and Echolink. These are both Amateur Radio applications. I have been using APRSDROID. This works very well, simple to use and runs in the background without any need for 'fiddling'. It has the ability to use the phone network to work out the position. It can also use the inbuilt GPS but this requires the phone to be able to 'see' the sky. Not an easy thing in a bus. The only problem with this is that when the phone is in open ground it appears to lock on to the nearest mast site and not the exact location. This is a minor bug as when it is in town the location is pretty accurate. Today I have found another application. U2APRS. This seems to have more features on so will give it a try for a couple of days and see how it goes.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production