Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

8 Jul 2012

Too many Bus Stops?

Over the last few years councils have tried to encourage Bus use. They have put in Bus lanes, priority routes etc. This is great and numbers seem to have increased. They have also improved and added more Bus Stops with electronic signs etc. This is great as it means people only have to walk a short way to catch a bus. However, there is a downside to this. If someone boards a bus at the beginning of it's journey and travels to the end rather than the bus stopping ten times it could now stop twenty or thirty with both passengers boarding and alighting. This is obviously great for those boarding and alighting close to their homes but a passengers comment of 'did I get on the slow bus?' says it is not always appreciated by all. What is the answer? Maybe on some intercity routes companies could introduce fast, direct services with limited stops maybe once an hour and retaining the multi stop journeys the rest of the time.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production