Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

19 Jan 2013

Morse Code

As you know, Amateur Radio has been my hobby for over thirty years. It is one of the most varied hobby there is. Until recently my interest has been mainly VHF/UHF voice and APRS. 
I have been fortunate to now be in possession of a Kenwood TS-50 this has rekindled my interest in HF (short wave). On HF one of the modes used is Morse Code. This is one of the most effective ways to communicate especially over difficult radio paths. It has over the last few years been dropped by most professional radio users and the requirement of Morse to obtain a full Amateur Radio licence has also been dropped. I obtained my full 'ticket' when you had to learn Morse at 12 words per minute. However, I have never had a contact on Morse and think I would struggle a bit to obtain any speed. There is now a an increase in using Morse. I came across this very interesting web site. Not sure if it will inspire me to start using the key, we shall see. http://www.themorsecrusade.g5fz.co.uk/










No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production