Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

28 Apr 2011

Mobile Phones and Driving

Despite the the risk of a large fine etc I am still amazed that many people still use their mobile phones while driving. Over the last couple of days I have seen a few including a  lady with children in the car so engrossed in her conversation she has gone straight through a red light and a driver of a well done transport company also deeply engrossed in conversation.
I really cannot understand anyone using a handheld phone while driving, the dangers are well documented.
So what can we do about it. The campaign against  drink driving was such a success that it became a socially unacceptable activity. I have a few ideas to how this can be applied to the use of mobiles.

1. If you call a mobile always ask if the person is driving, if they are hang up.

2. If you receive a call from a mobile again ask if they are hands free, if not hand up.

3. If you a passenger and the driver is using a mobile demand they cease.

4. Spread the word about the dangers of mobile use.

For some facts have a look at

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/mobile_phone_report.pdf

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production