Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

4 Mar 2012

How to use the Bus

Had a complaint from a passenger that I had not stopped at the stop they were waiting at. They also complained that the bus behind had not stopped either. I informed them that they had not signalled me to stop. The comment that came back amazed me ' why should I put my hand out?' Well the fact that at least two buses passed them would suggest other wise. However, it did occur to me that more and more people are using the bus who have never used one before so that may be a reason. However, if you are new to something is it not a good idea to try and find as much information before hand?

My company has a answer to this and I have copied their handy 'How to Use the Bus' information. It is shown below.


If you're travelling by bus throughout the country, this simple step-by-step guide will help make your journey as easy as possible.
If you have any questions please contact us.
1
Plan your journey - To plan your journey, simply go to journey planning section. Find the service number you need and the timetable for your bus will be worked out for you. You can then print this for the service or just the stops you need.
2
Choose a ticket - We offer a range of tickets to suit different types of trips, whether you are travelling every day or just once a month. Details are available in our Tickets section. Day and lower value tickets can be bought on the bus from the driver. Season tickets are best purchased before you travel and are available at local outlets or you can buy online - (Opens in a new window).
3
Locate the correct bus stop - Bus service numbers are generally displayed on bus stop signs or on the timetable panel. Services can be displayed together, so check the sign for your service number. Each bus stop has a code, by texting this code to 84268 you will receive details on the next buses due at the stop. Or find your bus stop at www.traveline.org.uk - (Opens in a new window).

Catching your bus

4
Signal the bus to stop - As the bus approaches, check the route number and destination displayed on the front of the bus. Raise your arm as a signal to the driver that you want the bus to stop.
5
Buying your ticket - If you are unsure which ticket you need, just ask the driver who will be happy to advise you which ticket is best for your journey. Having the correct fare available will help reduce delays when getting on the bus.
6
When you want to get off - Simply press the bell once, as you approach the stop where you want to get off, stay seated until the bus stops. If you are unsure where your bus stops ask the driver for help when you get on the bus.

Easy access, comfort & safety

To make it easier for you to get on and off, most buses can lower their suspension. Special seating areas are available on many of our buses for passengers who are disabled, elderly or using a buggy. Please bear in mind that special seating areas can get full at busy times of the day.

2 comments:

Des Speed said...

A little ditty -

Face the driver,
Raise your hand,
And you'll find he'll understand.

Stephen said...

Is mind reading a module of the Drivers' CPC?

Current local weather

Uk Power production