Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

10 May 2012

Conversations

One of the things you need as a Bus Driver, is to be a people person. I typically come in to contact with over 100 people a day, from all walks of life. Some are happy, some are sad, some are drunk and some have obviously taken more than prescription drunks. And some are just going from A to B. But as a driver we have to  interact will all these. You have about three seconds to decide what type they are as they board the bus. I always start with Morning, Afternoon or just Hi. This can then transform into a short conversation on any topic. The level of these can make it seem you know these people, but of course you may never see them again Then again you see them the next time you do that particular duty and the conversation continues from where it left off. All these are carried out with a smile and appearance you understand everything they are saying.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

Yes, conversations can go on for years. I once mistook a passenger for someone I once knew in Bristol and thought he had moved to Cardiff. I was friendly to him as i believed he was an old friend. He was not who I thought he was but has chatted to me ever since as though we were old mates!

Current local weather

Uk Power production