Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

9 Dec 2012

Meningitis, a year on.

It is hard to believe that is a year since I contracted Viral Meningitis. This changed my life and I thought it would be a help for anyone suffering from this to see what recovery is like. I thought maybe some bullet points would be the best way to show my recovery.  

  • December 2011. Emergency admission and week spent in hospital.
  • January 2012. Returned to work.
  • April 2012. Headaches reduced and feely more 'myself'.
  • October 2012. Period of depresstion as began to realise what I had gone through.
  • November 2012. First time I had felt 'Me' and not frighted about contracting it again.
  • December 2012. Still some short term memory and tiredness issues.
This is a very brief outline of the last year but I hope it shows that the recovery, although long is almost 100%. It should also be noted that some of the above can also be put down to age and general life fluctuations. More information can be found at these two excellent sites.

http://www.meningitis-trust.org/

http://www.meningitisuk.org/

Finally some advice on what to do if you suspect someone has Meningitis.
  • Call NHS Direct/NHS 24 or your GP.
  • Go to your nearest accident and emergency department.
  • Dial 999 for an ambulance.
  • Describe the symptoms carefully and say that you think it could be meningitis or septicaemia.
  • Early diagnosis can be difficult. If you have had advice and are still worried, get medical help again.
  • Trust your instincts.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production