Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

16 Jul 2013

Cyclists

As you know I have a 'love hate'  (mostly hate) relationship with cyclists. I find them in the main completely unaware/ uninterested in other traffic, the results of their actions and have a 'I am entitled to use the road' mentality. This may sound stereotypical but I can only speak as I find and see and the scary thing for me is that a lot of these people have little regard for their own lives. I had a run in with group in Bath who told me after they came straight across a give way sign that had I killed them I may have got points on my licence. But as I, and one of my passengers who wanted to get of the bus and kill them said 'but you would have been dead!' and this seems to be the problem they have no understanding that even if they are in the right, if things go wrong and they end in contact with a vehicle they will at best be seriously injured and at worst dead.
Anyway, back to the case in point. In Bristol there are a lot of cycle paths designed to keep cyclists safe. As I was leaving Temple Meads I had a cyclist doing his stuff in front. I did think why does he not go up the cycle path? Anyway he waited for the light to change and then struggled up in front completely ignoring the safe cycle path to his left. I then had to indicate and stop all the traffic behind to get past him and continue on there was a symphony of car and bus horns behind me as everyone else struggled to get by. I arrived at a set of lights and this chap appeared at the window, why were (and everyone else) so close, why did you toot.
I replied why not use the safe cycle path. what I got back amazed me. I am entitled to use the road, It is only a suggestion I use the 'safe' path you should all give us space etc etc. When he finished I asked 'but is it not safer??' he replied I am entitled to use the road. When I got to the end of the journey several passengers commented on him one even left her number should I want to complain. So the question is why are these people so uninterested in their own safety? Even when steps are taken, that they demand, to protect them they choose to ignore them.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production