Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

21 Mar 2017

Training Day

Despite passing my test in 1980 I have never had any formal motorcycle training. I cannot remember where I bought my first moped or where I first rode it. 

These were the days you could ride a 50cc just on L plates and also this was only a few years after the helmet law came in. The same regulations allowed you to ride anything up to 250cc without passing a test. Despite only having a 200cc I choose to take my test September 1980.


Having passed my car test in 1981 I ditched bikes. Until 2008 when my car was used in a robbery attempted and written off. I took the opportunity and purchased a Chinese 125.


I had this for a few years until someone wiped me out at a junction and I moved on to a 500cc.



And then on to my current bike.



All this through no training. This is why I signed up for the training day with 1st Class Training in Cardiff. The idea is to cut the number of deaths in Wales by offering free training. The day starts with some classroom work, Looking at the correct way to approach hazards and talking about what can go wrong, such as overtaking at junctions. Much of this I have learned through common sense, taking to other bikers and of course the last few years what I have read on the internet. After this it was out on the road in pairs with an instructor. Using radio he talked us through various situations. I quickly found my confidence growing, even given the terrible weather conditions. We stopped for coffee and a chat before setting off again on all types of roads. The day was very useful and I learned a lot and has hopefully put me on the next step to taking my advanced.



No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production