Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

1 Jan 2009

2008 Top Ten

Another VERY quiet few days. I think in the four years I have driven for National Express it is the quietess I have ever seen it. However like weekends holidays seem to bring out the idiot drivers, so I thought I would list my Top 10 things that really get me going. In no particular order.

  1. Pedestrians. Todays vehicles have good brakes. However that does not mean you can walk straight on to a crossing. Stop, Look, and listen. Ah, the ipod in the ears puts pay to that. (I feel very sorry for emergency vehicle drivers who come across these people and then get charged with dangerous driving)
  2. The CLOG (Centre Lane Owners Group) These lovely people seem to think there is a Slow lane and a fast lane. Wrong,
  3. Front Fog Lights. The clue is in the name. Not mist, rain, show off to your girlfriend (or boyfriend)
  4. Motorway joining. This is another 'urban myth' Do you stop on a main road to let some one out? If you are waiting to pull out onto a main road, who have right of way? Exactly, a motorway is no different. Give priority to traffic already on the motorway.
  5. Mobile phones.
  6. Sat Nav
  7. Slow overtakers. These are the ones that come along side you and match your speed, no wonder there are so many 'side swipes'
  8. Speed uppers. Just as you get level with them they find the go pedal. Not clever.
  9. The 40's. These ones, (seem to over 60's) drive at 40mph, In a 20,30,40,50,60 or 70. You name it they drive at 40mph. Why?
  10. The unsure. These are the REALLY dangerous ones. They are any age or gender and appear to be slumped over the steering wheel. They seem to have no idea of where they are or where they are going. Source of many accidents I am sure.
There are many more but these are the few I have seen in the last few days. Happy New Year to you all and drive safely.

2 comments:

Stephen said...

I agree and have made the same observations. The general standard of driving from these seasonal motorists over the past week has been very low indeed!

Anonymous said...

Also agree.
Speeder uppers : Drivers who want to drive slowly to save fuel but whose masculinity (they are usually male) would take a beating if being overtaken by a coach especially if its passengers are looking at it him while being overtaken.
Slow overtakers : There are actually busy bodies who are checking the speed of the coach presumably so they can say to someone "that national express coach wasn't doing 62 mph" and they are wrong since car speedo's over read by 5 to 10 percent and 62 mph on the sat nav of my car is about 66 mph on my car speedo.

Current local weather

Uk Power production