Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

10 Mar 2010

Wrong Turn

Found this on one of the blogs I follow.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/Bus-driver-wrong-turn-highlights.6132600.jp

This is one of the easiest things to do. I have known drivers with years of experience to 'go the wrong way' An example of this in Bath is the '13' and '14' route. They both go the same way up the A367 and then the 14 turns off. If you have the 13 and then the 14 or the 14 and then the 13 it is VERY easy to forget which route you are on. However they is always someone on the bus willing to 'help' (complain to the papers)

2 comments:

Dennis Dash said...

I've been driving buses in the same city for 20 years, and I reckon that I take a wrong turn probably once a fortnight!

The best example was when I got to a junction where some journeys turned left but most turned right, so I thought 'which way am I scheduled to go' only to realise that I had made a mistake about a mile earlier and shouldn't have been anywhere near that junction at all !!!

Anonymous said...

A good example I know of is an estate where a route goes through constantly every 10 minutes, over and over again. However, there was also an hourly route that used to turn off down a side street and go somewhere else. Inevitably, the buses on the hourly route would occasionally end up going straight on, and have to turn round a roundabout and come back. The hourly route has since been withdrawn so it's no longer a problem.

However, the best example I have seen was a bus going past my house, forgetting that the end of the road was closed (had been for weeks!) and it was meant to have gone on diversion. It had to turn around and come back. Whoops!

Current local weather

Uk Power production