Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

19 Oct 2010

When a bus stop is not a bus stop.

Bus stops are put in to allow passengers to board and alight a bus in a safe manner. It is the duty of a bus driver to park the bus as close as possible to the stop. This is especially important, when like today I had a lady in an electric wheelchair.
Anyway to the point of this post. Sometimes, when for instance road works take place, the bus stop will be suspended. This is done with either a notice, a cover on the flag (sign) or both. We have just this situation in Bath. A new stop is being built and the old stop is covered. Which means we cannot stop at it. This was a 'set down only' stop and used by people who wanted to go to the area where M & S is. So we now have  the situation where the bell goes and we sail past the stop. This is greeted by 'you missed the stop driver' and other comments. A passenger will then start to angrily tell you other drivers stop there etc etc etc. I inform them how would they like it if they asked for the stop outside your house to be moved because of the noise. But drivers just ignored it! I also remind them it is nothing to do with the company and it is down to the council. I then get the 'do you know how far I will have to walk?' At this point I finish the discussion because it will end only one way!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Might be also worth a mention that you could get the sack if you stopped there and something went wrong!

Current local weather

Uk Power production