Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

25 Jun 2008

A bit more care

Much quieter on the roads. It looks like the petrol price is beginning to make an impact. I have also noticed an increased in business people using the coach. Loaded with overnight bags and Blackberry, they seem to be leaving the car at home. I was full yesterday at 0430!!!
One thing you realise driving a large vehicle is that you can not pull away from a junction, roundabout etc. as quick as a car. You have to double check left and right. The real problem is when you come across restricted view roundabouts, those ones that are on slight bends and you cannot see very well unless you pull out a little, this is fine. Until..
As you pull out after checking a vehicle appears at speed not even slowing for the roundabout again fine if you are a car but there is still 40foot of bus behind me!! The sounding of a horn follows and we both go on our way. However, imagine I was a bicycle, or a horse!! So when you approach any hazard, you may have right of way but ease off. Think, 'what is the worse that can happen?' and plan for it. Oh, and read the highway code.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycode/DG_070338

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another driver in a hurry to nowhere important! I see them every day!

TDI UK Driving School

Anonymous said...

i have noticed too that my 50/55mph on the short stretches of dual carriageway i commute on is not attracting the usual barrage of overtaking. Oil hit $142 a barrel today so the roads may slow down for a little while longer.

Current local weather

Uk Power production