Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

24 Feb 2012

New Ticket machines

Bit late on posting this but as regular bus users will now First has upgraded all it's ticket machines. Like every new thing there are good and bad about the new machines. I get the impression that the designer did not spend much time travelling on buses. They also do not seem as robust and 'bullet prove' as our previous machines. However they have the facility to read 'smart cards' and take payments from smart phones. They also have GPS, which once activated will enable full real time tracking, All this I see as a benefit to both drivers and passengers.Also many of the routes are being upgraded to  Showcase routes as the  Travel + web site states the key benefits of these are
The key benefits of the new showcase corridors are:
  • New bus priority measures - such as bus only lanes and traffic lights which turn green as the bus approaches. Driver notes : These are great for getting back at the driver who is desperate to overtake you
  • New bus shelters, larger bus timetable displays with more detailed information and raised kerbs to improve access. Driver Notes : These are great as we now have low floor buses have a look at the front nearside of most buses for an explanation.
  • New buses - our partners First have invested £20m in more than 120 new buses. Driver Notes : I assume this means the NEW manual mini buses we have in Bath.
  • Real time information - displays at bus stops which tell you when the bus is due to arrive in real time. Driver Notes : These seem to have some problems out in the sticks due to the hills, which of course in where you really need it.
  • Improvements for all road users - such as cycle lanes, new pedestrian crossings and general road widening Driver Note : IF ONLY THE CYCLIST AND PEDESTRIANS WOULD USE THEM.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production