Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

9 Nov 2010

Common Sense

Driving around yesterday I became aware just how many bus stops there are. Driving around Weston one stretch of road has a bus stop every 200m. That is fine for passengers until you have several passengers on board and they all get off at a different stop. Fine for the first passenger, but for the last one a nightmare as they could have got off at the first stop and reached their stop before the bus!
So is there a case to reduce the number of stops?
One thing that can help is to have designated stops. This is where a stop is only for certain buses or is 'set down only' One stop which fits the last category is the 'Burnt House' stop in Bath. This was always a set down stop as it is opposite a school and the pupils ran across the road to try and catch the bus.However when the stop had a makeover the set down only disappeared and I for one witnessed near misses with children running out in front of cars. However for once common sense has prevailed and as from yesterday the stop has again been designated 'set down only'

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production