Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

18 Nov 2010

Emergency Vehicles

Watching the traffic in Bath is always interesting and one thing that is amazing is people reaction to blue lights and sirens. Most end up just getting in the way. I was always taught that you should if possible move to the side but that most of the time it is better to keep going and the emergency vehicle will react accordingly. I was also told that you must obey all traffic signs, red lights etc. Some people I speak to say if it was a ambulance going to your aid you would want everyone to get out of the way.  However, the law is very clear on the subject.
Demonstrated by this -

Highway Code Rule 219

Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

And this -

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/1700710.motorist_fined_for_red_light_good_deed/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1204944/Driver-gets-60-fine-moving-yard-red-light-let-police-van-999-pass.html

So there's the answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

During my PCV test, i came across this situation with an ambulance approaching from the rear of my bus in a contraflow. I managed to maneouver into a parking space of sorts and the ambulance was able to get through. Just the other side of the space that i pulled into was a pedestrian crossing under the control of traffic lights, which was at red. When we got back to the test centre and going through my test, my examiner stated i did well to get out of the way, but it might have been easier just to pull through the red light and into the bus stop beyond it, and he said this was legal.

Didn't know it wasnt!

Current local weather

Uk Power production