Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

27 Sept 2009

Sit down protest

'Street back' yesterday. Did a swap from 'Frome back' to give some more time moving. Good trip up but plenty of weekend drivers to provide the entertainment. As we when into London the passengers behind me began talking about going for a curry. As you can here conversations very clearly I asked if I could come? As we traveled along and the traffic was slow moving there was a little chatter between us. The passenger went to use the toilet, when there got back they told me that a passenger had said it was illegal to talk to the driver. Never heard that one before. However you must distract the driver of a coach or bus which like a lot (most) of UK law leaves it open to interpretation. Obviously I could drive and act completly in the rules which would mean. Not announcing what service we are on and where we are going. Not announcing stops until the vehicle has stopped and all passengers have left. Under NO circumstances use a mobile phone with passengers on. If a breakdown happens off load all passengers and await help from passing traffic. Tell all passengers to be quiet, switch all mobiles, walk mans etc off and to stay seated at all times in case they distract the driver. Black out the windows so the driver cannot be distracted by advertising boards. These all sound silly but read the law and in theory that is what it says.
That lot off my chest and back in the real world. I do not want to die or be seriously injured in an accident. So I will do NOTHING that puts me, my passengers or my vehicle in a dangerous situation. Read in to that what you will. back to packing.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production