Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

14 Jun 2010

Interesting Article

Found this on the BBC web site. Wonder if anyone from work will read it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/10293519.stm

1 comment:

Dozer said...

Crikey!

Screenwash can be a confusing thing though. When I was a kid, one of my jobs was to clean the family car, a Toyota Space Cruiser. I would refill the screenwash tank, which was at the rear offside corner of the car, accessible when the tailgate was open. I don't know why they put it there.

Fast forward ten years, I'm driving buses, and the usual experience is to roll up to the depot at 5 in the morning, collect your bus from the parking area, and join the queue of buses waiting for their bundles of trip/fire hazards aka Metro newspapers. Each bus gets a ream of Metros, and a filler cap on the rear offside corner of each bus gets topped up from a thin nylon hose as it goes past. A blueish liquid, evidently screenwash.

So I come back to the depot in the early afternoon, get my car, try to blast the dead insects from the screen, but find it's out of screenwash. No problem, I drive it past the engineering workshop to where that little nylon hose is, open the bonnet, and refill the screenwash tank, all 2 litres of it. Driving away, happy to have this facility available, if only when there's no-one watching, and try to clean the windscreen. It doens't really work. The blueish liquid is a lot thicker than the blueish screenwash from Halfords. Then I realise it's radiator coolant, not screenwash, that each bus is getting from that little nylon hose every week...

I had to go to Homebase, get a little nylon hose of my own, and syphon it all out again as soon as I got home. I hope 2 litres of radiator coolant isn't very expensive...

Current local weather

Uk Power production