Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

23 Jun 2010

Buggies and Shopping Trolleys

One thing you will notice if you use a bus is that there are people with buggies and shopping trolleys. Despite what some people think buses do not have unlimited floor space. I have recently had mothers with buggies which are larger than a wheelchair trying to get on a non low floor bus.This is not possible unless they fold them up as having the aisle blocked is not allowed. This results in at times abuse from said people. I am told 'I am only going 1 stop' (why not walk) or 'I cannot fold it' (how does it get in a car?) or 'why is there not more room' or the best one outside a school at finishing time 'why is this bus always full' What people seem unable to grasp is that if  there was a buggy /trolley blocking the aisle and a fire broke out  I am sure that despite people being unable to get out the driver would be thanked for letting the lady with the buggy on. These problems can be avoided with a little forward planning. If you have a buggy and are going to use a bus be prepared to fold it. Check if it is a 'low floor route' and perhaps if possible plan to catch a slightly earlier or latter bus to miss the rush. Please do not shout at the driver, it is his/her responsibility to ensure the passenger safety and that takes priority over every thing else.

1 comment:

Dozer said...

That's dependent on the relevant operating company employing staff to create the posters identifying which of its routes are Low Floor Routes, then actually having enough SLF buses to keep the old step-Darts away from it! Neither of which is true here!

Current local weather

Uk Power production