Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

14 Mar 2007

Overnight and highway code

Was on the overnight yesterday. City bus work to start fuel the coach and then off to London. back the next day, break and then more city work, not a bad one. However yesterday someone decided to walk into the side of a bus. brought the centre of Bath to a standstill as the Police had to do investigations. I feel sorry for the driver and hope the person recovers. This however highlights the fact that no one seems to know how to cross a road. Rule 19 of the highway code states.

19: Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped.

20: Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19 before you cross the second half of the road - it is a separate crossing.



However most people do not even look and it is only luck that more people are not killed. I watched someone today. He stopped at the kerb and a car was coming so he waited. the women on her mobile walked straight out giving the driver very little time to stop.

back home now and trying to clear up my cough/cold.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production