Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

18 Sept 2007

A typical day

Looking back through the posts I have comments on driving but nothing to show just what a driver does so here goes.
I will take the 0430 from Bath as my example. I think you may be surprised at just what is involved.

Day before.
Prepare bag, Tacho's envelopes, mobile charged keys etc

0310 Alarm goes off. Usual things, wash, breakfast.
0335 Leave house.
0450 Arrive at depot.
0455 - 0415 Go and booked on with inspector. Check allocation board to see what coach I have. Prepare coach, check all safety features. Lights, doors etc. Fill in Taco graph, defect card and ticket envelope.
Ring control to get 'loadings' or passenger list.
0415 Leave depot and make my way to the Bus station.
0430 Leave Bath and make my way to London.
0430- 0750 Pick up passengers, issue extra tickets where needed. Load luggage. Answer questions and drive well!!
0750 Hopefully arrive in London. Once passengers are off. Check coach and clean through, included the toilet!.
0800 Once the coach is parked time for break. have some food, coffee and a quick nap.
0915 Prepare coach for departure. Get loading chart and start boarding passengers.
0930 Leave London and make my way back to Bath.
1245 Arrive back in Bath. Once passengers are off prepare coach for next driver. Clean, check for left items. leave coach clean and tidy.
1300 hand in ticket envelopes, pay in money and head for home.
1400 Hopefully arrive home.

There. thats it one day as a driver.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production