Hello and welcome to my Blog, my name is Chris, a bus driver for First Mendip based in Wells, Somerset. I am Chair and H&S rep for the depot branch of Unite the Union. Married to Fiona, we live in Midsomer Norton near Bath, with Boots the cat. My main hobby is Amateur Radio and I hold the call sign G4KVI. I am the repeater keeper for GB3UB and MB7UB. I have a fascination for the weather and all things to do with nature and science. As a Christian I worship, when shifts allow at St. Nicholas Church in Radstock. These are my observations on my life, both at work and at home.

5 Jul 2011

Cyclists

Looks like I will be working in Bristol until September. Saw a bendy bus travelling on the 904 route. I assume this was the new operator testing the route. Bit strange as the rumours are rife that no one has the contract. As with most things there are also many other rumours. I will wait until someone tells me to report back to Bath!
Bristol is a Cycling city and encourages the use of cycles. This is great as it is a very green way to travel and has many benefits for the city and for individuals. However, it also seems to create a sense that cycling is a completely safe form of travel and that if you ride a bicycle you have some form of shield that will protect you. The fact that two cyclists have been seriously injured in the last week puts that in doubt. It amazes me that many cyclist do not helmets, gloves, hi vis clothing and assume that others will see them. They also seem to be unaware that rules of the road apply to them (red traffic lights and pedestrian crossing for example) Today one of these people very nearly ended in a box. I was waiting to pull out from a bus stop. Another bus pulled alongside as he wanted to use the stop. We then had one bus indicating right and another indicating left. As I was moving out and the gap was decreasing a cyclist came between us!! we both managed to stop-just. The cyclist then had the cheek to accuse me of not looking in my mirrors. he as of cause wearing a helmet, wearing bright clothing and was using his bell!! At this point many of you will say bus drivers are just as bad. That may be but a bus is fairly visible and most road users with half a brain will, in the most part be able to see what it's intentions are. Cyclist seems completely unaware that even if they are in the right if they get in to a tangle with any vehicle the outcome is in the most part serious injury and sadly to often, death. I ride a motorcycle and most days another road user will be unaware of me on the road. It is up to me to either ensure they do or take action to protect myself.  I always remeber a quote given by a Police officer.

'It is no use claiming you were in the right when you are lying in the road with a broken leg'

So if you ride a bicycle please remember you are very small and difficult to see. Always assume other drivers have not seen you and as many of you will be car drivers, think 'will I have seen me??'

I apologise if you are one of the few cyclists who do in the part 'behave' themselves. However, many of your fellow cyclists are tarring you all with same brush.

No comments:

Current local weather

Uk Power production